Monday, June 11, 2007

Surf's Up (2007) ***1/2



Rarely have I seen the audience clapping their hands when an animation film ends in the theater. Surf's Up (2007) totally surprised me.

In the beginning, the pace of this film kind of annoyed me, because this was not what I expected. I guess I was expecting something closer to Finding Nemo or Madagascar in terms of storytelling style and visual effect. The filmmakers blended the documentary film and reality show in "Surf's Up," which might have risked forcing some impatient kids to leave the theater.

Fortunately, the movie was getting better and better as the story unfolded. Despite the attempts to get emotional, the filmmakers have tremendous patience to lead the audience to the glory and shame embedded in the story's theme step by step. I personally think this is the boldest story-telling method that has ever been implemented in the animation film history.

Don't be deceived by the cute and chubby penguins ... this movie was not made for kids who are looking for simple-minded fun in the theme park.




No comments: